Car Accident Compensation Claims

We live in a world that relies on our ability to travel, particularly through our roadways, and this can lead to car accidents. We should be prepared – if you have been in one, read on to find out how you can file a car accident compensation claim if you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident.

Vehicle Insurance

It’s important to remember that all vehicles should have motor insurance before they can be used on public roads. At the very least, this means that the vehicle owner must have third party insurance. And that means that the owner is covered in cases of car accident injury claims. Insurance brokers can usually help get insurance for vehicle owners and they are involved when road accident compensation is sought.

Steps to Take Folloing a Car Accident

When an accident happens, the very first step is to give (if you are the driver) or acquire (if you are seeking car accident compensation) the driver’s name and address, and the vehicle registration number. Even if the person one is speaking to was only a passenger in the car, the driver’s name and address should be given. If, for some reason, said information was not given at the time of the accident, one can seek the assistance of the police, as said information should be reported to the police within 24 hours after the accident.

If you have insurance, you should also inform your insurance company of what happened, even if you are not planning to file accident compensation claims. This is particularly important if you do find out the other party has no insurance. In such a case, you should inform the police and your insurance company as soon as possible. This also applies to hit-and-run situations (even if you do not have complete information) and if you are involved in an accident where one party (but not you or the driver) has no insurance. Remember, if a person drives without insurance (both vehicular and personal), the matter should be reported to the police, and this may give your road traffic accident claims even more grounds for a successful outcome.

More Information on Uninsured Drivers or Hit-and-Run Accidents

If you have been a victim of a hit-and-run or an uninsured driver, you should file a car accident claim with The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB). The MIB is funded by drivers through their insurance premiums, and is considered a fund of last resort for hit-and-run victims or those who have been hit by uninsured drivers.

There are two different car accident claim types, depending on if you can identify the driver. You should consult with your insurance company’s accident claims solicitors, as they may know how to choose which claim type is better for you.

If the driver can be identified, the MIB can provide you with confidential information concerning the identity and address of the driver. You should share this information with your insurance company and the solicitor, and from there proceed with your car accident compensation claim.

If the driver cannot be identified, then you can direct your accident claim to the MIB, and depending on circumstances and information, they will be able to give you your accident compensation.

However, be advised that in all cases, one must act as soon as possible, given that there are time limits for the MIB to consider claims. If you wish to contact the MIB, here is their contact information:

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau
Linford Wood House
6 – 12 Capital Drive
Linford Wood
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XT
Tel: 01908 830001 • Fax: 01908 671681 • Web:

Remember, too, that you will have to pay for other costs, such as the fees of your solicitor, if you choose to file a road accident claim with the MIB.

Road Hazards

However, if your road accident claim for compensation is due to road or pavement obstruction, damage or other similar situations, you must go to the local council. Although there are general guidelines for filing accident claims, each council may have some differences in the way they run their local areas regarding this. Be prepared with as much information as you can get before going to them. Again, contact your insurance company, to see if they can assist you in this matter.

Next steps

Now that you know who to address and how to approach the situation, it’s important to realize that an informal first letter may not be a good strategy, unlike in the case of a work accident claim. If you have been involved in a car or road accident, then it’s important to send a formal claim through your insurance company/accident claims solicitor. It will also be likely that they will be communicating first with the other side’s insurance company or solicitor. Be aware, too, that at all times the police should be involved in the exchange of information, particularly in the case of serious injury or massive property damage.

Your compensation claim may not necessarily have to reach the courts, but you should remember that no matter what, unless you have a specific agreement with your insurance company, you would have to pay for fees and costs concerning the solicitor, and other people and organizations that may have to be involved.

Finally, if you wish for your car accident compensation claim to succeed, then you should act quickly and decisively, and collect as much information as you possibly can before contacting your insurance company, the MIB, or the police.